This is the mistake that I made at university. I watched many fellow students make it too. None of us who made this error went on to become terrific photographers. Rather we either made an okay living or quit working in photography and went on to do something else instead.
The individuals who didn't make this mistake had a tendency, usually, to become much better photographers and have more success.
I ought to clarify that I was good at university. I was the 'go to' guy. If a teacher wasn't available (and even if they were) people would regularly see me for my opinion or to ask me technical questions. If somebody desired to know how to accomplish a certain effect or discover why what they had done hadn't worked, I was frequently first on their list of people to consult. I even had people come to me to check whether something a professor had said was accurate!
For the first two semesters at university my grades were fantastic. For those first 6 months I'm quite sure I came top in every exam. Then things began to change. Other individuals, people who understood less about photography than I did, began to creep up the rankings. Quickly I wasn't leading anymore. And as the months went on my grades slipped until I became despondent and uninspired. I quit trying.
So that was the key? What made the others gain greater grades while mine just fell?
It wasn't like I didn't put in the effort. I read the reading list and learned more and more about photography. I took in every little thing I was told. But my photography didn't improve any. By the time I left university I was little better than I was when I started.
The error I made was easy to make. I spent too much time reading the guides and not nearly enough time taking photographs.
You see photography is not a book subject. Sure if you're excellent at science and technology there's a lot to discover. The science is exciting. Learning all those obscure Photoshop techniques can take hundreds of hours and more. It's easy to get totally sidetracked by the technical.
You do need some technical knowledge. You have to understand how your selection of aperture influences the depth of field within your photographs. You are required to know the best ways to make use of depth of field to isolate the point of interest from the surroundings. You have to understand exactly what the controls on your camera do and how to best use them. Understanding about flash lighting could be vital. Even learning about composition is important. But eventually the only thing that will make you a great photographer is getting out and taking photographs.
Spend more time taking photos than reviewing books. Take pictures of every little thing you see. Talk with individuals. Offer your time for free to every charity, NGO, neighborhood band and small company you can in order to learn your trade. Ask good looking friends if you can take their pictures. Ask ugly friends if you can take their portraits too. Simply get out there and snap.
Photography is not about books. Photography is instinctive. Your brain needs a whole lot of time to develop a 'feel' for what looks good and what doesn't.
Do not make my mistake. If you want to become a good photographer do not bury your head in books. Instead, become a better photographer by taking photos.
Click here to read more articles by James Somerset or visit his YouTube Channel.
No comments:
Post a Comment